Why is fall protection important?
Falls are among the most common causes of serious work related injuries and deaths. Employers must set up the work place to prevent employees from falling off of overhead platforms, elevated work stations or into holes in the floor and walls.
What can be done to reduce falls?
Employers must set up the work place to prevent employees from falling off of overhead platforms, elevated work stations or into holes in the floor and walls. OSHA requires that fall protection be provided at elevations of four feet in general industry workplaces, five feet in shipyards, six feet in the construction industry and eight feet in longshoring operations. In addition, OSHA requires that fall protection be provided when working over dangerous equipment and machinery, regardless of the fall distance.
To prevent employees from being injured from falls, employers must:
- Guard every floor hole into which a worker can accidentally walk (using a railing and toe-board or a floor hole cover).
- Provide a guard rail and toe-board around every elevated open sided platform, floor or runway.
- Regardless of height, if a worker can fall into or onto dangerous machines or equipment (such as a vat of acid or a conveyor belt) employers must provide guardrails and toe-boards to prevent workers from falling and getting injured.
- Other means of fall protection that may be required on certain jobs include safety harness and line, safety nets, stair railings and hand rails.
OSHA requires employers to:
- Provide working conditions that are free of known dangers.
- Keep floors in work areas in a clean and, so far as possible, a dry condition.
- Select and provide required personal protective equipment at no cost to workers.
- Train workers about job hazards in a language that they can understand.
- SpanSet Fall Arrest Lanyard 6' $35.75
- Spanset US1100 Full Body Harness $32.95
- Spanset USCAS Cross Arm Strap from $12.95
- Miller Turbo Lite Personal Fall Limiter $225.00
Spanset Carabiner w/ CaptivePin
- Miller Titan II Full-Body Harness $68.00
- Protecta 6''Lanyard W/Standard Hook $56.00
- Miller Double Leg Lanyard, locking rebar $140.00
- SPANSET 6 ' WEBBING LANYARD WITH SAFETY HOOK Out of stock
- Spanset Worka Harness Out of stock
- SPAN-SET USHSL HORIZONTAL SAFETY LINE KIT Out of stock
- Spanset USWPL Rope Positioning Lanyard $58.95
- Spanset 11' SAVERLINE SRL 2" with Double Action Rebar Hooks $480.95
- Spanset 6' SAVERLINE SRL with Twin Action Rebar Hooks 2" $469.95
- Spanset 100' Polyester DACRON Rope Assembly $79.95
- Spanset Construction Pro Roofer's Kit $167.25
- Spanset USSL Suspension Loops $11.70
- Spanset US1121 Full Body Harness $57.95
- Spanset Adjustable Beam Anchor 4"-14" $217.95
- Full Body Fall Arrest Harness Rank #1 $54.93
- Universal Full Body Harness w/Tongue and Buckle Rank #2 $47.46
- Universal Full Body Harness Rank #3 - USUN10 $38.76
- 11' SAVERLINE Self Retracting Lifeline with Internal Shock Pack $168.50
- Spanset USPULL-LOCK Pull Lock Anchor $132.75
- Spanset 6' Lanyard W/Snap Hook Basic $32.50
- Spanset Rope Grab Stainless Steel $72.50
- Spanset USLF62R Fall Arrest Twin Leg 6' Lanyard $69.00
- Spanset USCLIMA Tech Full Body Harness $176.00
- Spanset Roof Truss Anchor $14.50
- SpanSet Carabiner 1" Gate Twist Lock $14.95
- MSA Dyna-Lock Self Retracting Lanyard, 20' $402.90
- MSA Carabiner Steel 1'' Gate $42.00
- MSA Anchorage 5' Strap Connector $35.70
- MSA Adjustable Lanyard with Snap hooks $55.00
- MSA 2'' Steel Autolocking Carabiner $32.13
- MSA FP Diamond Shock Absorbing Lanyard $65.45
- Miller Shock Abs Lanyard 4' snap hook $74.50
- Miller Scorpion 9ft Fall Limiter w/ Steel Swivle $180.00
- Miller Manyard HP 6', w/ Locking Snap Hooks $87.75
- Miller 6' Nylon Cross-Arm Strap w/ 3 D-r $43.95
- Exofit Harness, Back D-Ring, (XL) $327.60
- DuraFlex Python Ultra Harness, Lime GreeN $175.00
- DuraFlex Harness, F/B D-ring, QC $176.00
- DBI 2'' Carabiner $89.95
- 3M Protecta 6' Retracting Fall Protection Life Line $132.95